In today’s world, everything is managed from our cell phones: gym workouts, home lights, bill payments, banking transactions, social media—you name it. The pervasive influence of technology in our daily lives extends to the affiliate marketing business, which can now be handled 100% remotely from a mobile device with internet access.
This working mode is known as mobile affiliate marketing, which involves the promotion of products or services through smartphones or tablets. Affiliates earn a commission for each sale or action carried out by users who arrive through their affiliate link.
However, success in this field goes beyond just promoting products or services. As emphasized in previous articles, the key to success lies in strategically measuring and analyzing the performance of your campaigns. Only that way can you determine if your mobile strategy is effective and leading you toward goal achievement and revenue maximization.
Why is measurement so crucial in mobile marketing, and what tools and metrics can you use to analyze the performance of your campaigns? In this article, we will provide answers to these questions that every affiliate should consider when using their phone as the central hub of operations.
Let’s begin by listing some of the primary advantages of mobile affiliate marketing:
- Reach a broader and more diverse audience that uses mobile devices for information-seeking, shopping, or entertainment.
- Adapt to the preferences and behaviors of mobile users, who tend to be more impulsive, demanding, and responsive to visual stimuli.
- Leverage the features and functionalities of mobile devices, such as geolocation, camera, microphone, or sensors, to provide personalized and enriched experiences.
What is Mobile Analytics, and Why is it Important for Affiliate Marketing?
Mobile analytics is the process of collecting, processing, and analyzing data generated by users interacting with your website, application, or content through their mobile devices.
Why is it important in affiliate marketing? Because it allows you to understand your mobile audience—their characteristics, interests, needs, and behaviors. Additionally, it enables you to optimize your website, application, or content to enhance the user experience, usability, and accessibility on mobile devices.
It also serves to measure the impact of your mobile affiliate marketing campaigns, including traffic, conversion, ROI, and other key performance indicators (KPIs). Identifying improvement opportunities and adjusting strategies for maximizing results is another valuable outcome.
What Tools Can You Use for Mobile Analytics?
Several tools are effective for mobile analytics, and among the most popular are:
- Google Analytics: Widely used for web and mobile analytics, providing detailed information about traffic, sources, behavior, and conversion of mobile visitors. It also allows the creation of segments, goals, funnels, and custom events to measure the performance of mobile affiliate marketing campaigns.
- Firebase: A Google platform for developing, managing, and analyzing mobile applications. It offers various functionalities such as authentication, storage, database, hosting, notifications, and analytics. With Firebase, you can gather insights into the usage, retention, monetization, and performance of your mobile applications.
- AppsFlyer: An attribution and mobile analytics platform that measures the impact of your mobile affiliate marketing campaigns across different channels, platforms, and devices. It provides data on installations, traffic sources, customer lifetime value, ROI, and other key indicators.
- Adjust: Another platform for attribution and mobile analytics, helping you track, measure, and optimize your mobile affiliate marketing campaigns. It offers data on installations, traffic sources, engagement, retention, customer lifetime value, ROI, and other key indicators.
- Bitly or ClickMeter: These tools offer valuable information about the effectiveness of your links. From click numbers to user location, these tools provide crucial data for refining your strategies.
- PageSpeed Insights: Patience is limited in the mobile world. Ensure that your landing pages load quickly to avoid user loss. This tool helps you measure and improve loading time, directly impacting user retention and conversion.
While these are just a few tools for mobile analytics, many others are worth exploring. The key is to choose the one that best suits your goals and needs, and to use it correctly and consistently.
What Metrics Should You Consider for Mobile Affiliate Marketing?
Considering the substantial number of metrics these applications track, what are the primary ones to focus on in your mobile affiliate marketing strategy? Let’s explore them below.
- Installations: This metric indicates how many times users have installed your mobile application or accessed your mobile website through your affiliate link. It helps measure the reach and effectiveness of your affiliate marketing campaigns.
- Activations: This metric indicates the number of users who have performed a specific action after installing your mobile application or accessing your mobile website, such as registering, logging in, or completing a tutorial. It helps measure user engagement and quality.
- Events: This metric indicates the number of times users have taken a specific action within your mobile application or mobile website, such as viewing a product, adding it to the cart, making a purchase, or sharing it on social media. It helps measure user behavior and conversion.
- Revenue: This metric indicates the total amount of money you have generated through your mobile affiliate marketing, whether from sales, subscriptions, advertising, or any other monetization source. It helps measure ROI and campaign profitability.
- Retention: This metric indicates the percentage of users who have returned to use your mobile application or mobile website after a specified period, such as a day, a week, or a month. It helps measure user loyalty and satisfaction.
Metrics may vary based on your goals and strategies. Regardless of the ones you choose for your strategy, always define your Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and monitor them regularly and systematically.
These are some of the tools and key metrics for measuring and analyzing the performance of your mobile affiliate marketing. With them, you can obtain valuable information about your mobile audience, optimize your website, application, or content to enhance the user experience, measure the impact of your marketing campaigns, identify improvement opportunities, and adjust your strategies to maximize results.